IMPORTANT: The Bazel docs have moved! Please update your bookmark to https://bazel.build/docs/bazel-and-android You can read about the migration, and let us know what you think.
Android and Bazel
This page contains resources that help you use Bazel with Android projects. It links to a tutorial, build rules, and other information specific to building Android projects with Bazel.
The following resources will help you work with Bazel on Android projects:
- Tutorial: Building an Android app. This tutorial is a good place to start learning about Bazel commands and concepts, and how to build Android apps with Bazel.
- Codelab: Building Android Apps with Bazel. This codelab explains how to build Android apps with Bazel.
Bazel has Android rules for building and testing Android apps, integrating with the SDK/NDK, and creating emulator images. There are also Bazel plugins for Android Studio and IntelliJ.
- Android rules. The Build Encyclopedia describes the rules for building and testing Android apps with Bazel.
- Integration with Android Studio. Bazel is compatible with Android Studio using the Android Studio with Bazel plugin.
mobile-installfor Android. Bazel’s
mobile-installfeature provides automated build-and-deploy functionality for building and testing Android apps directly on Android devices and emulators.
- Android instrumentation testing on emulators and devices.
- Android NDK integration. Bazel supports compiling to native code through direct NDK integration and the C++ rules.
- Android build performance. This page provides information on optimizing build performance for Android apps.
- Integrating with dependencies from Google Maven and Maven Central with rules_jvm_external.
- Learn How Android Builds Work in Bazel.