Integrating Bazel with IDEs
IDEs integrate with Bazel in a variety of ways, from features that allow Bazel
executions from within the IDE, to awareness of Bazel structures such as syntax
highlighting of the BUILD files.
If you are interested in developing an editor or IDE plugin for Bazel, please
#ide channel on the Bazel Slack or email
IDEs and editors
IntelliJ, Android Studio and CLion
Official plugin for IntelliJ, Android Studio, and
CLion. The plugin is open source.
This is the open source version of the plugin used internally at Google.
- Interop with language-specific plugins. Supported languages include Java,
Scala, and Python.
- Import BUILD files into the IDE with semantic awareness of Bazel targets.
- Make your IDE aware of Starlark, the language used for Bazel’s BUILD and bzl
- Build, test, and execute binaries directly from the IDE
- Create configurations for debugging and running binaries.
To install, go to the IDE’s plugin browser and search for
To manually install older versions, download the zip files from JetBrains’
Plugin Repository and install the zip file from the IDE’s plugin browser:
XCHammer generate Xcode projects from
Visual Studio Code
Official plugin for VS Code.
- Bazel Build Targets tree
- Starlark debugger for .bzl files during a build (set breakpoints, step through
code, inspect variables, and so on)
Find the plugin on the Visual Studio
The plugin is open source.
language-bazel package on
the Atom package manager.
bazelbuild/vim-bazel on GitHub
Lavender is an experimental project for
generating Visual Studio projects that use Bazel for building.
Automatically run build and test on file change
Bazel watcher is a tool for
building Bazel targets when source files change.
Building your own IDE plugin
Read the IDE support blog
post to learn more about
the Bazel APIs to use when building an IDE plugin.
These projects are no longer supported by the Bazel team.